Caithness CAB

Caithness CAB is a registered charity (SC002849) and has been serving the community of Caithness for over 30 years. Our main office is in Thurso, with a second office in Wick. We also operate a number of outreach services in the community. 

In 2017/18 Caithness CAB had 2,148 clients, dealt with 13,754 advice issues on a wide range of subjects and assisted clients to a financial gain of £2.4 million through debt rescheduling, benefit entitlement checks, helping to claim compensation for poor products or services and assisting with unemployment claims and unpaid wages claims.

In short, we are here to help you by providing advice and information on a wide range of subject issues including benefits, debt, housing, employment and many more. In fact, we deal with 16 main advice subjects.  

Our advice is always free, independent, impartial and confidential.

We also campaign against unfairness and raise awareness of local issues which impact on the citizens of Caithness. We hope that by adding our voice we can change things for the better. As a member of The Scottish Association of Citizens Advice Bureaux – Citizens Advice Scotland, we feed in local social policy evidence to be raised nationally in Holyrood and Westminster.

Being one of 60 members of the Association brings a number of benefits. We are part of the largest quality assured advice network in Scotland and use an information system regularly updated by specialist teams in Edinburgh and London. We are audited by Citizens Advice Scotland (CAS) and by our core funder, the Highland Council. We receive support from CAS for IT, Training, Compliance, Fundraising and Social Policy campaign work.

We are volunteer-led, supported by a small team of paid staff. Volunteers undergo a rigorous training program and are supported throughout their initial and ongoing development as CAB advisers. When you visit the CAB it is likely you will see one of our volunteer advisers and then, if your case is complex and requires ongoing case work, it will be passed on to one of our paid specialist workers.

If you need advice, please see details of your nearest office on the contact tab.